Values are unconscious drivers to your decisions. Goals give you direction and values determine how you travel on the journey of life to reach your goals. If you value beauty you’ll take the scenic route in life. If you value adventure you’ll choose a four wheel drive and take the road less traveled. If you value efficiency you’ll journey by plane working with your laptop all the way. People have different values and values can change.
Living according to your values enhances self esteem and makes you feel fulfilled. You are less swayed by others and are more decisive and sure of your direction. It’s a good exercise to ascertain your hierarchy of values every three months to make sure you’re living congruently and are on the right path for you.
Complete the five steps below to discover your values
- Write down 20 of your values. The things which are important to you eg. balance, friendship, health. Focus on your unique, personal values and not on your parents or societies values. Here is a link to a List of Values
- Number the values from 1 to 10, based on the results you are currently getting in your life. Number 1 being the value that you are getting the best results with ie the value you are easily spending the most time, energy and money on. This may not be what you want to be spending your time on or what you want your values to be. This is the list of the values you are currently acting on at the moment and this can change.
- Write down what you have learnt about yourself from the exercise so far.
- Here’s where you can make changes. Based on the results or goals you want to be achieving in your life, what would be your top 10 values? (This may mean re-numbering the old values or creating new ones)
- Put the new list up where you can see it. Practice the new list, live congruently with the new list and making choices based on the new list!
If you have any questions about this please contact me. 0415422949